What is STEAM?
STEAM is an acronym for Science, Technology, Engineering, Arts and Mathematics.
STEAM is the integration of these content areas while leading students through design and inquiry processes that include investigating, planning, problem solving, creating, evaluating, reflecting, and retooling design models and prototypes that solve real world problems and challenges.
This process helps students make connections between what they are learning in school with their real-life environment.
This learning approach helps to develop the “whole” child and helps students develop a deeper understanding of the subject matter through the practical application of skills while experiencing the joy of expressing themselves through music, drama, dance, and the visual arts.
Science is everywhere in today’s world. It is part of our daily lives from cooking, gardening to recycling. We embrace the significance of science in things we do every day.
Technology is transforming how we learn, work and play. We live in a digital word with a global economy, so we embrace our world today and future technologies.
Engineering is the practical application of science, technology, and math which emphasizes how to solve real word issues using hands-on learning and designing models and prototypes …It’s Fun and Engaging!
Fine Arts develop the imagination, creativity, and critical thinking skills of students across content areas.
Mathematics is the foundation of science, engineering and technology and helps students develop problem-solving, analysis, and reasoning skills.
Why Choose Indy STEAM Academy?
- We provide 7 hours of instruction each day which is an additional 180 hours of instruction or a total of 30 additional days of school each year compared to traditional public schools.
- We provide 120 minutes of integrated science, technology, and engineering instruction each day which is one hour more per day than traditional public schools.
- We have small classroom sizes with highly qualified teachers and teacher assistants!
- We assign I-Pads (Kdg) and laptop computers (1-2) to all students! One-to-one computing and coding instruction.
- Our classroom instruction focuses on students using hands-on project-based instruction – students learn by doing!
- We provide additional support for English Language Learners (ELL) students with an ELL teacher and assistant!
- We provide a Special Education Resource teacher for students with IEP’s!
- We provide “Success Time” additional time during the school day to help all students demonstrate academic success!
- We provide After School Tutoring three days per week to ensure student mastery of reading, math, and science!
- We provide After School Programs and Clubs for enrichment!
- We provide “STEAM Ahead” additional time during intersessions (Fall, Winter, and Spring) to help students demonstrate academic success!
- We take fieldtrips to science museums and visit colleges and universities to help students with making college and career choices!
- All students learn to play a musical instrument!
- We provide Summer School for intervention and Summer Camps for enrichment!
- Our students participate in local, state, and national STEAM competitions!