There is no greater concern for us at Indy STEAM Academy than the safety of your child. We know that a safe, nurturing learning environment extends beyond the 4 walls of a building, which is why we have prepared our curriculum and campus to make Indy STEAM Academy a school where you can trust your children to attend
Indy STEAM Academy offers a longer school year and a longer school day. Our students attend school 185 days each year, which is five additional days compared to traditional public schools. Our K-5 children engage in seven hours of instruction each day which is 370 more hours (52 more days!) of instruction compared to traditional public schools! More time in a safe environment ensures your child’s safety.
As we enter the 2021-22 school year and navigate large group gatherings with a vaccinated population, Indy STEAM Academy will continue to follow all guidelines from the CDC and the Indiana Department of Health. Here are the things we are doing to promote health and sanitation in our building:
- Vaccination: All Indy STEAM Academy staff are vaccinated to prevent the spread of virus.
- Temperature Checks: All staff and students will have their temperatures checked each day. We are asking parents to check the temperatures of their children first thing each morning. Our staff will check the temperatures of students before they enter the building or when exiting their vehicles. We will also take temperature checks before lunch to make sure that no child is sick before entering the cafeteria for lunch.
- Masks: All students will wear a mask as they enter the building, in classrooms, and in hallways. We have face shields for our teachers and students when they are reading aloud in the classroom or at the reading and math tables.
- Spacing: Our repurposed school has plenty of space for social distancing. Our classrooms are extra-large and students sit at individual desks for social distancing. The large cafeteria has space for cafeteria tables where students sit on one side of the table facing one direction to prevent the spread of germs while enjoying a delicious meal.
- Handwashing: Students wash hands after using the restroom, before eating, after recess, and after science and engineering work. Hand sanitizer is available in every room.
- Daily Cleaning: The ample space in our building provides time for us to clean rooms in between student use. Desks and chairs are sterilized between morning and afternoon sessions. Classrooms are thoroughly cleaned each night in preparation for the next school day. Playground equipment is cleaned between recess periods. Cafeteria tables and benches are cleaned between breakfast and lunch periods.
- Food Preparation: We have a full kitchen, but due to COVID, we will have food prepared by an approved food service vendor who will bring breakfast, lunch, and snacks to the school to ensure the safe handling of food.
- Water Fountains: We have several water fountains, but due to COVID, these fountains will not be in use. We will provide chilled bottled water each day. Parents may also send juice pouches and reusable bottles of their preferred drink for their children. We will not provide “bottle filler fountains” to prevent the spread of germs.
- Air Quality: Our school has MERV air filters in the HVAC system. We have a high quality HVAC System that provides the air filtration needed to clean the air during the school day.
Safety at School
Our secure, well-lit entryway is locked and under constant supervision. Staff and teachers know our families by name, ensuring that everyone who enters through our doors is known and welcome.
With all the exciting science experiments our students will partake in, the safety of materials and environment is also extremely important to us. Our labs are equipped with the latest equipment. Safety procedures and precautions are clearly outlined and taught, with strict adherence expected to keep all students and staff safe.
Another way we keep our students safe is through social-emotional teaching. We have a zero-tolerance policy on bullying. Emphasis on the Six Pillars of Character means that we are constantly teaching children how to be strong members of our community and have positive peer relationships. Conflict resolution is taught to all students so they know what to do when faced with peer challenges.
Our school uniforms—even lab coats!— are yet another way we ensure your child’s safety at Indy STEAM. Uniforms are proven to reduce school bullying and increase learning outcomes for students.
Our smaller class sizes of 15-20 students mean our students receive more personalized attention and assistance with their learning journey. Our small K-5 school is close-knit with a positive school climate and culture. We take every child’s safety seriously each and every day.
About Indy STEAM Academy
The mission of Indianapolis (Indy) STEAM Academy is to nurture the academic and creative talents of students through the integration of Science, Technology, Engineering, Arts, and Mathematics. We build a strong literacy foundation to ensure the achievement of all students and prepare them for high school, college, and careers in a 21st century global workforce. #weareIndySTEAM #chooseIndySTEAM #IndySTEAMAcademy Enrolling K-5 now!