At Indy STEAM, we know that the development of future mathematicians and engineers doesn’t begin and end with academics alone. We are committed to nurturing the whole child on their path to a great career in the science, technology, engineering, art, and mathematics (STEAM) fields . The individual subjects of STEAM naturally lend themselves to the development of essential character traits. A quick case study of any celebrated scientist or engineer will reveal the true motivation that guides their success: curiosity, the ability to persevere, face adversity, take risks, and think critically.
Six Pillars of Character
We believe that the Six Pillars of Character encompass what it means to be a successful, contributing member of our school community for both students and staff. These core values act as our moral compass and represent the foundation for everything that we do:
- TRUST: Be loyal, honest, and reliable in all you do. Trusting in your abilities increases confidence and when we believe in ourselves, we can do anything!
- RESPECT: We demonstrate respect for each other, our school, and greater community. Children will also develop mutually respectful relationships with our caring teachers. When children feel respected, they are more likely to reflect that same care and concern as they grow.
- RESPONSIBILITY: Scientists, tech workers, and engineers have great responsibility on their shoulders! We emphasize hard work, setting a good example for the younger children in our school, and also holding ourselves accountable for our actions and words.
- FAIRNESS: Children naturally value fairness. Indy STEAM emphasizes conflict resolution and being open-minded to different perspectives.
- CARING: Our caring community demonstrates care and compassion for each other. We nurture each other by listening and showing empathy toward the unique challenges we all face.
- CITIZENSHIP: Being a part of the Indy STEAM community is a building block to becoming an informed, contributing citizen of our world. We emphasize cooperation, volunteering, and respecting authority on our way to being a great neighbor.
Our talented Indy STEAM Academy teachers weave character development into daily teaching using stories and lessons to illustrate how character traits are essential to success. To build community and personal achievement, we look for opportunities to recognize and celebrate individuals who demonstrate our core values. Our small school is just the right size for teachers and staff to help students put these traits into action!
Everyone wins when we focus on character development at Indy STEAM Academy. We know that building strong character in each student also supports our school climate. Our community becomes a stronger, safer, more positive place to learn with focus on social-emotional learning. When our children step away from the school building to participate in our many planned field trips to visit STEAM-related careers, members of the greater community will have a chance to see our core values in action. And in turn, our students get to see a working, positive model of our core values in the field.
We at Indy STEAM Academy are honored that you share your child with us. We will work in partnership with you to help grow and develop not only both sides of the brain but also the character traits and social-emotional skills required to be a well-rounded student.
About Indy STEAM Academy
The mission of Indianapolis (Indy) STEAM Academy is to nurture the academic and creative talents of students through the integration of Science, Technology, Engineering, Arts, and Mathematics. We build a strong literacy foundation to ensure the achievement of all students and prepare them for high school, college, and careers in a 21st century global workforce. #weareIndySTEAM #chooseIndySTEAM #IndySTEAMAcademy Enrolling K-5 now!